explain.co.za launched on 1 March 2020 after an initial pilot the previous year. The news start-up has since gone from strength to strength.
explain’s vision is to create accessible news for people who don’t usually follow current affairs, using a variety of formats, and meeting people where ever they are – be it WhatsApp, social media or even a digital billboard.
Our emphasis is on solution-orientated journalism, summaries, explainers and slow news. We aim to create news that leaves people feeling informed and empowered, while adhering to the highest journalism ethics.
We are now looking for a creative, energetic and organised video producer to join our team. The ideal candidate will have video shooting and editing skills and experience, as well as a keen understanding of news, current affairs, and issues facing South African society. The vision is to grow this position into a “head of video” should the candidate prove a good fit.
- Edit slick, professional explainer videos
- Create and manage video editing processes and workflow, in sync with the rest of the team
- Manage video hosting, including Youtube artwork, playlists, tags, subtitling etc
- Create and implement the video strategy, from templates to tracking analytics
- Occasionally manage other editors working remotely
- Assist and advise on client work where required
- Trial period: 16 June 2020 – 27 June 2020
- To be renewed for three months on satisfactory delivery
- Remuneration: R10 000-00/month CTC
- Work hours: Sunday – Thursday, full time.
- Report to: explain.co.za’s news editor
Closing date: 16 June 2020