explain.co.za launched on 1 March 2020 after an initial pilot the previous year. The news start-up has since gone from strength to strength.
explain’s vision is to create accessible news for people who don’t usually follow current affairs, using a variety of formats, and meeting people where ever they are – be it WhatsApp, social media or even a digital billboard.
Our emphasis is on solution-orientated journalism, summaries, explainers and slow news. We aim to create news that leaves people feeling informed and empowered, while adhering to the highest journalism ethics.
The job of editor would include:
- Working Sundays – Thursdays
- Overseeing a small team of fulltime and part time researchers, video producers, presenters and sub-editors.
- Running a news diary, workflow processes and implementing a regular publication schedule
- Ensuring quality delivery of all explain content across all mediums and formats
- Creating and curating content yourself
- Overseeing the social media strategy
- Ensuring explain’s content meets the highest editorial standards
The position reports to explain.co.za’s founder, Verashni Pillay.
Please only apply if you have journalism experience in a newsroom. To apply, simply fill in the form below, no need to send in a CV.
Closing date: 1 June 2020.